||Date Last Updated:
||Appropriate Use of the New York State Citibank Travel Card
||The purpose of this Bulletin is to remind all cardholders of the appropriate use of their NYS Citibank Travel Card, as set forth in the Office of the State Comptroller Travel Manual and outlined in Citibank Acknowledgement Form signed by all card recipients.
The State of New York has a Corporate Travel Card Program to provide employees with a mechanism to pay for expenses incurred when traveling on official State business. The card is generally available to all employees who are expected to travel at least once a year as part of their job. Only appropriate travel expenses may be charged to the card.
Use of the NYS Citibank Travel Card is subject to the following conditions:
- You may use the Travel Card to pay for travel expenses when you are on official State business and you are in travel status (see Determining Travel Status, below). When traveling on official State business, only actual, necessary and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. Examples of allowable expenses include transportation, meals, lodging, gas, tolls, parking, conference fees, telephone charges related to official State business, and unanticipated work supplies. Any work supplies purchased becomes the property of New York State. Other expenses may be authorized by your agency’s finance office.
- You may not use the Travel card for personal charges or use it to purchase meals or other items on days when you are not in travel status. Other examples of expenses not allowed include entertainment, charges associated with non-work related events, expenses for non-State employee business associates, meals associated with business meetings, the expenses of a spouse or other family members, and telephone charges not related to official State business.
- Improper or unauthorized charges may result in mandated reimbursement to your Agency or revocation of your user privileges.
- Your agency and the Office of the State Comptroller will audit the use of your Travel Card and take appropriate action on any discrepancies or unauthorized charges. Any evidence that your card has been used inappropriately will be investigated, after which disciplinary action, including termination of employment or in extreme cases criminal prosecution, may result.
- You must account for all Travel card charges on your travel voucher and submit it promptly to allow the Agency’s Card Program Administrator sufficient time to reconcile the charges to the central bill. Failure to submit your travel voucher in a timely manner may result in revocation of your Travel Card.
- Travel Cards are the property of New York State. You must return your card immediately upon request or upon termination of employment. Should there be any change in your employment status you must return this card and arrange to have a new card issued, if necessary.
- If your Travel Card is lost or stolen, you must notify your Agency's Card Program Administrator and Citibank immediately.
|Determining Travel Status:
When employees are on assignment at a work location more than 35 miles from both their official station and their home, they are considered in travel status and are eligible for reimbursement of travel expenses. Rules and regulations for reimbursement of expenses incurred while traveling on official state business are included in the NYS Travel Manual. Employees must obtain appropriate approvals prior to traveling on an assignment.
When an employee is assigned to work at an alternate work location which is less than 35 miles from either his or her home or his or her official station, the employee is not considered to be in travel status. However for certain assignments your agency may authorize the reimbursement of expenses incurred or authorize the use of the travel card to pay for those expenses.
NYS Travel Manual
Office of General Services Guidelines
Citibank Acknowledgement Form
||If you have questions regarding the appropriate use of the New York State Corporate Travel Card, please contact the Bureau of State Expenditures Customer Service Help Desk at (518) 474-4868 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org