United Way of CUNY Campaign Guidelines and Agency Actions
CUNY has two options available for the United Way of CUNY Campaign:
Continuous Giving Program – Agencies must not enter a deduction end date for employees who choose to participate.
Calendar Year 2008 Program – Agencies must enter the applicable deduction end dates as described below:
- Agencies must review the pledge form and verify the completeness, accuracy and legibility of the amount and type of payroll deduction, employee’s college and department, Social Security Number and name.
- The payroll deduction is the amount to be deducted from each paycheck, not the total amount of the pledge.
- The employee’s signature is required to authorize the payroll deduction.
Agencies are required to enter the transaction for Deduction Code 897, United Way of CUNY, into PayServ on the General Deduction Data (Agency) page, using the following instructions:
- After logging into PayServ, access the General Deduction Data (Agency) page.
- Enter the Social Security Number from the pledge form in the EmplID field of the dialog box and click Search.
- The employee’s General Deduction page appears. Click on View All.
- Determine whether the employee already has a deduction record for Deduction Code 897, United Way of CUNY.
- If a record already exists, click on the + sign to add a new row in the Deduction Details page, insert a row and continue with Step 6.
- If there is not an existing row for the United Way of CUNY Deduction Code, click on the + sign to add a new row in the General Deduction page, insert a row and continue with Step 5.
- Deduction Code – enter Deduction Code 897, United Way of CUNY.
- Effective Date – enter the effective date for the 2008 deduction to begin as follows:
Institution (Lag) 12/6/07
Institution (Current) 12/20/07
- Deduction Calculation Routine – select Flat Amount from the drop down box.
- Deduction End Date – Note: There are 27 paychecks in the year 2008 for Institution cycle employees.
For Institution employees who choose to contribute 26 paychecks, the following end dates must be entered:
For Institution employees who choose to contribute 27 paychecks, the following end dates must be entered:
Institution (Lag) 12/3/08
Institution (Current) 12/17/08
Institution (Lag) 12/17/08
Institution (Current) 12/31/08
For employees who participate in the Continuous Giving Program, a deduction end date must not be entered.
- Flat/Addl Amount – enter the amount to be deducted from each biweekly paycheck.
- Save the transaction.
The Goal Amount field should not be used when entering United Way transactions (see Exception below).
If an employee has a Goal Amount/Goal Balance in the existing record and the agency enters a transaction for 2008, the Goal Amount and Goal Balance will roll up on the newly inserted row unless the Goal Amount and Goal Balance are equal. Agencies must delete the Goal Amount and Goal Balance on the 2008 row and then save the transaction.
If a participant chooses to elect other than the full year (26 pay periods), the agency payroll office must enter the total amount of the annual contribution in the Goal Amount field as well as the flat amount to be deducted biweekly. The appropriate effective and end dates must be used as outlined above.