Bolton Fire District – Internal Controls Over Financial Operations (2011M-242)
Released: February 24, 2012 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the internal controls over the District’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2010 to August 31, 2011.
The District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Bolton and County of Warren in which it is located. The Board of Fire Commissioners consists of five elected members and is responsible for the District’s overall financial management. The District’s general fund budget totaled $447,360 for the 2011 fiscal year.
- Although the Board was aware that it was required to adopt procurement and investment policies and a code of ethics, it has not done so and did not provide us with any explanation for its failure to adopt them.
- The District did not contract with an IPA to perform an independent audit of its records for the 2007 to 2010 fiscal years, and the Treasurer has not filed an annual financial report with OSC since 2006.
- The Board did not require District officials to submit supporting documentation of all purchases that were made with the District’s credit card.
- The Board did not ensure that the Treasurer reported and remitted payroll tax withholdings and the District’s share of payroll taxes in a timely manner.
- Adopt a procurement policy, investment policy, and code of ethics, as required by statute.
- Ensure that an annual audit of the District’s records is performed by an IPA within 180 days after the close of the fiscal year and that the Treasurer files the District’s annual financial report with OSC within 60 days after the close of the fiscal year.
- Ensure that all credit card purchases are supported by adequate documentation prior to approving the claims for payment.
- Provide oversight over the Treasurer’s work to ensure that the Treasurer properly reports and remits all payroll taxes in a timely manner.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: email@example.com
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236