Audits of Local Governments and School Districts
Town of Lewisboro – Financial Condition and Activities (2011M-279)
Released: April 13, 2012 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Town’s financial condition and selected financial operations for the period January 1, 2009, to May 31, 2011.
The Town of Lewisboro is located in Westchester County. The Town is governed by a Town Board, which comprises four elected Board members and an elected Town Supervisor. The general fund’s budgeted expenditures for 2011 were approximately $7.2 million.
- The Town’s general fund balance declined from $3,094,491 in 2006 to two consecutive years of deficit fund balances totaling $655,312 in 2009 and $338,100 in 2010. Similarly, the sewer fund showed a continual decline in fund balance from 2006 to 2009, and a deficit fund balance in 2010. While the highway fund maintained a positive fund balance from 2006 to 2010, fund balance declined substantially from $743,876 in 2006 to $36,921 in 2010. The steady decline in fund balance and eventual deficits mainly resulted from poor budget estimates.
- The Board did not audit claims against the Town, or ensure that interfund transfers were properly authorized, accurately recorded and repaid as required by General Municipal Law.
- The annual update documents (AUD) were consistently filed after the due date.
- Request periodic status reports to monitor the budget so that corrective action can be discussed and implemented in a timely manner. Modify the budget in a timely manner to avoid budget shortfalls.
- Audit all claims and not assign this responsibility unless it establishes a Town Comptroller position. Ensure that interfund transfers are properly authorized, accurately recorded and repaid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the Town’s AUD is filed in a timely manner and in accordance with statutory requirements.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236