Audits of Local Governments and School Districts
Town of Caton – Supervisor’s Records and Reports (2014M-359)
Released: March 6, 2015 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if the Supervisor properly accounted for and reported the Town’s financial transactions for the period January 1, 2011 through July 31, 2014.
The Town of Caton is located in Steuben County and has a population of approximately 2,200. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2014 totaled approximately $1.5 million.
- The Town does not have complete, accurate and up-to-date accounting records because the Supervisor did not provide adequate oversight of the bookkeeper.
- The Supervisor did not provide the Board with sufficient interim financial reports.
- The Supervisor did not file the annual financial report with OSC for 2012 and 2013 in a timely manner.
- Provide the bookkeeper with necessary financial training and review her work to ensure that all financial activity is accurate.
- Provide the Board with accurate and complete monthly reports.
- File the annual financial report with OSC and the clerk in a timely fashion.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: email@example.com
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236