Audits of Local Governments and School Districts
Village of Poquott – Cash Disbursements (2012M-61)
Released: July 6, 2012 -- [read complete report - pdf]
Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review cash disbursements for the period June 1, 2010, to November 30, 2011.
The Village of Poquott is located in the Town of Brookhaven in Suffolk County. The Village is governed by a Board of Trustees which comprises four elected Trustees and an elected Mayor. Operating expenditures for the 2011 fiscal year were $567,680.
The Board has not provided sufficient oversight of cash disbursements made by check or with the use of Village credit cards. Because the Board has not established policies and procedures for cash disbursements:
- A signature stamp is inappropriately being used to sign checks,
- Unauthorized officials are signing checks and,
- Not all credit card charges are appropriate.
- Adopt comprehensive cash disbursement policies and procedures.
- Discontinue the use of the signature stamp.
- Ensure that the Treasurer, not a Trustee, signs all disbursement checks.
- Adopt a credit card policy, establish guidelines on their proper use, and formally identify the individuals authorized to use credit cards.
Local Government and School Accountability Contact Information:
Phone: (518) 474-4037; Email: email@example.com
Address: Office of the State Comptroller, Division of Local Government and School Accountability
110 State Street, 12th Floor; Albany, NY 12236