Local Government and School Accountability
Financial Data: What is the source of the data presented in our financial data for local governments tables?
- For Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages and Fire Districts the indebtedness, revenue and expenditure data is obtained from annual financial reports filed by the municipalities.
- Population and Land Areas are obtained from the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
- Taxable Valuations for Counties and Towns are obtained from valuations reported on the Schedule of Real Property Taxes Levied by the County Board of Legislators; the source of City and Village valuation data is the Constitutional Tax Limit form.
- Tax Limit and Tax Levy data for Counties, Cities and Villages are obtained from Constitutional Tax Limit forms.
- For School Districts , indebtedness, revenue and expenditure data are obtained from the ST-3 annual financial report forms school districts file with the State Education Department (SED).
- School Enrollments are obtained form SED.
- School Valuations and Real Property Tax Levy data are obtained from information filed by School Districts with the NYS Office of Real Property Services.