Local Government and School Accountability
Required Reporting: Local Government Electronic Filing - About Local Government Electronic Filing
What do State and Federal Tax forms, Federal Student Aid applications, and Annual Financial Reports (AFR’s) have in common? All of these documents can be e-filed, that is, filled out and submitted electronically. Email and the Internet aren’t just for messaging and surfing, but have become vital tools that allow organizations to organize and share their data more efficiently. Electronic filing isn’t the wave of the future; it’s already being used extensively in both government and private enterprise, and in applications ranging from bill payments to court case documents.
The Office of the State Comptroller has been offering electronic filing as an option for submitting Annual Financial Reports since 1996. Since then, we have been working continuously to make improvements to the software, and keep abreast of governmental accounting standards.
Who is filing electronically?
Electronic filing of Annual Financial Reports is on the increase. Last year 85% of New York State municipalities, (including counties, cities, towns, villages, and fire districts) filed electronically.
Why should my local government try e-filing?
The benefits of Electronic Filing of the AFR include:
- Efficiency. Entry into an electronic form is quicker than manual entry or typing information on a paper form.
- Accuracy. Common reporting errors are avoided because the software automatically computes totals and provides built-in edit checks.
- Flexibility. Using the software limits paperwork and saves file space, but you can print copies of the report as needed.
- Convenience. Submitting the report using the Internet or e-mail eliminates postal charges and mailing delays.
- Turnaround. Eliminates manually keypunching filed reports, which avoids errors in processing and makes the data available faster.
Assistance and training is available for first time filers, and the software is easy to use. If you have any questions about, or need assistance with electronic filing, you can contact the Office of the State Comptroller at 518-474-4014, or send an email to AFRFile@osc.state.ny.us