Local Government and School Accountability
Local Official Training Unit: Basic Accounting School, Introduction to Governmental Accounting - Course Description
This 2½ day school is designed to familiarize participants with the basic concepts of governmental accounting and give them a working knowledge of basic bookkeeping procedures.
This school is for those individuals who possess some accounting experience, but are newcomers to governmental accounting in New York. It will benefit Chief Executive Officers, Chief Fiscal Officers, Comptrollers, Treasurers, Clerks, Accounting Personnel, Board Members and Department Heads.
Day 1: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Overview of certain legal requirements and the Uniform Classification of Accounts prescribed by the State Comptroller
- A review of the "how and why" of debits and credits and double-entry bookkeeping concepts
- Understanding the Basic accounting concepts and the fund accounting process for governmental operations
Day 2: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Utilizing accounts, ledgers, journals and subsidiary records
- Understanding the annual budget process and recording budgetary information
- Balance sheets, statements of revenues, expenditures and changes in fund equity
- Understanding refunds, corrections and distribution of expenditures
Day 3 (9:00 a.m. - Noon)
- Using a trial balance to help reconcile all your accounts
- Year-end closing process and completing your annual financial report