What Every Employer Should Know
One of the largest bureaus in the Retirement System, Member & Employer Services (MESB) is staffed by more than 200 employees — 30 percent of all the people who work in the System. Besides being the primary contact for participating employers, MESB is also responsible for maintaining the accounts of Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) and Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) members, who often need help with service credit purchases, loan processing and beneficiary changes, among others.
- Registers new members into the appropriate System and tier;
- Processes requests for tier reinstatements, previous service credit, withdrawals, transfers, loans, refunds of excess contributions, membership termination and beneficiary, address and plan changes;
- Maintains the records of over 643,500 members before a benefit is paid;
- Provides personalized information for the Member Annual Statements;
- Provides cost information to municipalities that wish to participate or to provide improved benefit plans;
- Prepares and distributes the annual bills to State and local employers for the cost of providing their employees with retirement benefit coverage;
- Presents employer information seminars;
- Processes monthly report information.