Employer Reporting Basics
After an employee completes his or her portion of the membership application, you must complete the employer portion and register the employee in one of three ways:
- Our member registration fax line is 518-486-4382. It’s available 24 hours a day.
- Fax the front page of the application(s) with a cover sheet containing the date, employer name, sender’s name and sender’s phone & fax numbers.
- Mail the membership application to us so we can complete the registration process.
- Call 518-474-3081 to register Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) members and have a completed membership application on hand. (Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) members cannot be registered by telephone.)
- You will receive a registration number over the phone. Enter the registration number we give you on the application and mail the application to us so we can complete the registration process.
- Mail the completed original membership application to us.
- We will process the registration and mail you the employee’s membership information.
Regardless of the registration method, please make sure the membership application is filled out completely and signed before mailing it to us. The application does not need to be notarized.
A tip to keep in mind:
- If we receive an application with an altered Social Security number, we must obtain a copy of the member’s actual Social Security card to properly register that member.