Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

Get Credit for All Your Public Service

Share This Page:

The amount of service credit you have is a key factor in determining your eligibility for — and how we calculate — service retirement, disability retirement and death benefits. Your service credit also determines your eligibility for member loans and vested rights.

You earn service credit with the New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) for your paid service with a participating employer. Only your New York public employment and any credit you may have earned from previous public service count toward your service credit. You may or may not have to purchase that past credit, depending on when you began public service.

You may also receive retirement service credit for:

  • The period you worked for an employer prior to that employer becoming a participant in NYSLRS.
  • All public service you performed before becoming a member of NYSLRS.
  • Service during a previous membership through Tier Reinstatement:
    • If you were a previous Tier 1 or 2 member in NYSLRS, or another public retirement system in New York State, you may want to complete an Application to Reinstate a Tier 1 or 2 Membership (RS5506) Adobe pdf.
    • If you were a previous Tier 3, 4, 5, or 6 member, or if your membership was with another retirement system, please write to our Member & Employer Services Bureau.

If you believe you have any previous public employment (including military service), please let us know about it as early in your career as possible because it may provide you with additional credit toward your retirement. All requests for additional service credit must be provided to us in writing and submitted before your retirement date.

In most cases, purchasing additional service credit will increase your retirement benefit because under most retirement plans your pension benefit calculation is partially based on your total service credit. However, there are certain situations where it would not benefit you. For example, some special retirement plans require service in a particular title. Service performed in titles other than those allowed by a special plan would not increase your retirement benefit. If you have questions, please Contact Us.

To receive credit for previous service, complete and submit a Request for Previous Service form (RS5042) Adobe pdf, or send a written request to our Member & Employer Services Bureau. Include as much information as you can about the period of employment for which you are seeking credit. We will determine your eligibility to receive the credit and any cost involved.

If you were in active military duty, send us a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) along with your written request.

Requests for previous service credit should be mailed to:

New York State and Local Retirement System

Member & Employer Services Bureau

110 State Street

Albany, NY 12244-0001

For detailed information on receiving credit for all of your public service, please see our Publications page and refer to the booklet for your plan and tier. Members in Tiers 2 – 6 can also read our publication, Service Credit for Tiers 2 through 6 (VO1854).

(Rev. 7/16)