Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

Coordinated Plan

For ERS Tier 3 and 4 Members

(Articles 14 and 15)

Applying for Previous or Military Service Credit

To receive credit for any type of previous or military service, send a written request (which must be received before your effective date of retirement) to our Member & Employer Services Bureau. Please include as much information as you can about the period of employment for which you are seeking credit. We will determine your eligibility to receive the credit and any cost involved.

Requesting credit for your previous public employment as early in your career as possible ensures that:

  • It will be less expensive than if you wait to purchase it at a later date.
  • Your retirement benefit will be processed more quickly if your service credit is in order.

If you are requesting previous service credit to establish eligibility for a vested retirement benefit, you should request credit while you are on the payroll of a participating employer. If you receive a statement of the cost after you leave the payroll, you must make payment within 30 days of notification. You can request credit for previous service after you leave the payroll, but you must pay the cost (if any) and return to the payroll of a participating employer for the service to be credited and for you to become vested.

Please note that if your purchased service brings your total credited service to ten or more years, you will no longer be eligible to withdraw your contributions and end your membership.