Sheriffs, Undersheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs Special Plan
For ERS Tier 1 and 2 Members (Article 14B: Sections 551, 552 and 553)
Permanent, full-time employees of employers that participate in the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System must become members of the Retirement System.
Under any of the following scenarios, however, membership was optional:
- You were appointed to a temporary or provisional position;
- Your job is supposed to last for less than one year, or you work on a less than 12 months per year basis;
- Tier 1 Members:
- You work less than the standard number of hours for full-time employment as established by your employer for your position;
- Your annual salary is less than $1,500.
- Tier 2 Members:
- You work less than 30 hours per week, or less than the standard number of hours for full-time employment as established by your employer for your position;
- Your annual salary is less than New York State’s minimum wage, multiplied by 2,000 hours.