Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

Sheriffs, Undersheriffs & Deputy Sheriffs

For ERS Tier 3, 4, 5 and 6 Members

(Article 14-B: Sections 551, 552 & 553)

Credit for Previous or Military Service

You may be able to obtain credit for previous public employment or military service. It is very important that you claim all the service you are entitled to receive as early as possible, because records documenting your previous service may be lost or destroyed with the passage of time.

Please note that certain types of credit listed below may not provide additional benefits under your special plan. Contact us to verify what service would be creditable.

Prior Service

Prior service is any period of time you received salary from a participating employer before that employer elected to participate in the Retirement System. To receive credit for this service, you must earn at least two years of credited service as a Retirement System member.

Service Before Your Date of Membership

You may receive credit for working for a participating employer before you joined the Retirement System. To receive the credit, you must earn at least two years of credited service as a Retirement System member.

Military Service

You may be able to receive credit for some or all of your military service. To determine your eligibility and the cost, if any, please send us a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214).

Service From a Previous Membership

If you previously were a member of this System, or another public retirement system in New York State, your service may be recredited and your date of membership and tier restored. However, an earlier tier of membership does not always result in a better benefit. Please review your options carefully before making your decision, and contact us with any questions you have.

We will initiate reinstatement to Tier 3, 4 or 5, or to an earlier date within Tier 6, by sending you information about your eligibility and giving you the opportunity to purchase credit for your withdrawn service. If your previous membership was with another retirement system, please write to our Member & Employer Services Bureau.

For reinstatement to Tier 1 or Tier 2, you must send us a completed Application to Reinstate a Former Tier 1 or 2 Membership (RS5506) Adobe pdf.