You are here: XIII. Employee Expense Reimbursement > XIII.10 Refunds Owed to the State by an Employee

Refunds Owed to the State by an Employee


This section provides Business Units with guidance on how to process a refund owed to the State by an employee using the Statewide Financial System. Situations where an employee owes a refund to the State may occur for various reasons. For example, an employee received a duplicate payment, an employee was paid in error, an employee received an amount greater than what they were entitled to, or an employee spends more on the State-issued travel card than the employee is entitled to receive in reimbursement. When an employee owes a Business Unit a refund of monies paid to them as a result of an employee expense report, the employee may either return the State-issued check or submit their own check to the Business Unit to refund the amount.


The NYS Governor’s Office of Employee Guidance on the State Corporate Travel Card Program- Policies and Responsibilities, issued in April, 2012, states “Agencies are responsible for recovering any overpayments and improper charges as well as ensuring the bill is reconciled correctly. Agencies may establish policies similar to those used in accounting for cash advances. Improper charges may be recovered from an employee’s reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses, paychecks or any other monies owed to the employee.”


Depending on how the employee received the overpayment and how the employee returns the funds owed, the Business Unit must follow the appropriate process as described in the following Sections of Chapter XIII:




Guide to Financial Operations
REV. 01/26/2017