Message from Comptroller DiNapoli
“The COVID-19 pandemic has created a serious public health crisis for New York and the economic impact to our State will likely be felt for a long time to come. My office is taking many proactive and positive steps to address the economic impacts of the COVID-19 crisis and we want to help New York’s residents, government entities, nonprofits and businesses alike as they navigate these uncharted waters. We created this page of helpful resources and links to give you easy access to vital assistance and information you need at this time. Since the situation is changing rapidly with each passing day, please check back regularly as we update this information.”
Utilities: Under new state law recently signed by the Governor (Laws of 2020, Chapters 108 and 126) utility services cannot be shut off through March 2021 for those who have been financially affected by COVID-19. If you are having difficulty paying your utility bills, contact your utility company directly.
- NYS Chief Administrative Judge recently issued an order that states no residential evictions through October 1, 2020 for those facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Temporary Halt in Residential Evictions To Prevent the Further Spread of COVID-19 (Federal Register) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued an order calling for a temporary halt in residential evictions, effective through December 31, 2020.
- Executive Order Extending Moratorium on COVID-Related Commercial Evictions (Office of the NYS Governor) - The Governor has issued certain protections through October 1, 2020, against eviction or foreclosure due to nonpayment of rent or mortgage by someone that is eligible for unemployment insurance or benefits under state or federal law or is otherwise facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Motor Vehicles Services: The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will only offer in-person services by reservation for limited transactions that cannot be completed online or by mail or drop box. To make a reservation and get more information visit: DMV Office Locations and Reservations (New York DMV)
- Your Health
- CARES Act
- Employment Issues
- Paying Your Bills
- Assistance for Small Businesses, Local Government and Nonprofits
- Personal Finance Information/Education
- Avoiding Scams
- Assistance for Seniors, People with Disabilities, Veterans & Active Military