Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review BOCES’ financial management practices for the period July 1, 2012 through December 30, 2015.
The Cattaraugus-Allegany-Erie-Wyoming Board of Cooperative Educational Services is a governmental entity covering 22 component school districts in a four-county area. BOCES is governed by a nine-member Board of Education elected by the boards of the component districts. General fund budgeted appropriations for the 2015-16 fiscal year totaled approximately $65 million.
- From fiscal years 2012-13 through 2014-15, the Board and BOCES officials consistently overestimated appropriations by an average of $4.4 million per year.
- BOCES increased its reserves without adequate disclosure to the public and the districts and overfunded three reserves.
- BOCES has restricted more than $15 million in funds that should have been returned to the component and participating districts.
- Develop reasonable budget appropriation estimates.
- Develop a comprehensive written policy or plan for establishing, funding and using reserve funds.
- Ensure that all surplus funds, except those properly restricted in reserves in accordance with applicable statutes, are distributed back to the districts.