Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether officials adequately safeguarded electronic access to the City’s water and wastewater systems for the period January 1, 2015 through February 28, 2017.
The City of Glens Falls is located in Warren County and has a population of approximately 14,300. The City is governed by an elected six-member Common Council. Budgeted appropriations for 2017 total approximately $17.8 million for the general fund, $3.4 million for the water fund and $6.0 million for the sewer fund.
- The City has no formal process for staying current on water and wastewater system cybersecurity threats.
- Officials have not provided employees with cybersecurity awareness training.
- Officials do not prevent or monitor public disclosure of information that could jeopardize the City’s systems.
- Establish a process for receiving and assessing system cybersecurity alerts.
- Provide cybersecurity awareness training to City employees.
- Prohibit the disclosure of information that can jeopardize the City’s systems and monitor for and remove such publicly shared information.