Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the County’s internal controls over service provider agreements for the period of January 1, 2012 through October 7, 2013.
Orange County has a population of approximately 374.500 within an 812 square-mile area and is governed by a 21-member Board of Legislators. The County’s 2013 budget totaled approximately $756 million, of which the Department of Social Services’ budget totaled approximately $236 million.
- Service providers did not submit more than 40 percent of the quarterly reports as required by contract.
- The Department does not have evidence that proper contract monitoring is occurring.
- Documentation did not always support the amounts of claims.
- Require service providers to submit all reports as per their contracts.
- Implement procedures to verify that service providers are meeting contractual performance measures.
- Ensure that audited claims are accurate and supported.