Determine whether the Rensselaer County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders, notify the court when a probationer violated the court order or disburse victim restitution payments appropriately. As a result, some victims may not receive the payments to which they are entitled.
- Officials did not establish adequate policies and procedures to enforce and monitor restitution obligations.
- 13 of 28 restitution orders reviewed had uncollected payments totaling $25,772.
- 155 outstanding checks totaling $27,935 were not properly followed up on.
- Officials did not make reasonable efforts to locate victims.
In addition, officials did not make undisbursed restitution payments or maintain sufficient undisbursed restitution records.
- Establish adequate policies and procedures for enforcing and monitoring restitution obligations.
- Provide meaningful oversight.
- Enforce and monitor restitution according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
County officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.