Determine whether the Seneca County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders or notify the court when a probationer violated the court order. As a result, some victims may never receive the payments to which they are entitled.
- Officials did not establish adequate policies and procedures to enforce and monitor restitution obligations.
- Nine of the 13 restitution orders reviewed had uncollected payments totaling $63,805.
- Restitution payments totaling $1,406 were not paid to 11 victims and another $8,147 in undisbursed restitution collected in 2012 or before could have been paid to victims but was not.
In addition, officials did not maintain a complete list of victims with unsatisfied restitution orders, make undisbursed restitution payments or maintain sufficient undisbursed restitution records.
- Establish adequate policies and procedures for enforcing and monitoring restitution obligations.
- Provide meaningful oversight.
- Enforce and monitor restitution according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
County officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.