Determine whether the Ulster County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders, disburse all victim restitution payments appropriately or notify the court when a probationer violated the court order.
- 16 of 29 restitution orders reviewed had uncollected restitution totaling $12,495.
- 26 outstanding checks totaling $2,242 were not properly followed up on and officials did not always make reasonable efforts to locate victims promptly.
- Ensure policies are clear to enforce and monitor restitution obligations.
- Enforce and monitor restitution according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
- Make efforts to locate victims with outstanding checks promptly.
County officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.