Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if the Company provided adequate oversight of financial operations for the period January 1, 2013 through January 31, 2014.
The Malta Ridge Volunteer Fire Company Inc. is a not-for-profit organization which is located in the Town of Malta, in Saratoga County, and provides fire protection to residents of the Town, except those located within the Village of Round Lake. The Company is governed by a five-member Board of Trustees and an Executive Committee is responsible for running the Company’s overall fiscal affairs. The Company’s revenues for the 2013 fiscal year were approximately $1.8 million and expenditures were $1.6 million.
- The audit committee, which included the Treasurer, did not audit bills or review the Treasurer’s records.
- Only the Treasurer signed checks.
- Ensure that the audit committee provides oversight of financial transactions, including audit of bills prior to payment and review of the Treasurer’s records.
- Ensure that the audit committee membership is exclusive of the Treasurer.
- Provide for two signatures on all checks in accordance with the Company’s by-laws.