Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether the Board provided adequate oversight of Department operations for the period April 1, 2013 through July 9, 2014.
The Fair Haven Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation with approximately 35 members, governed by an elected nine-member Board of Directors. The Department, which is located in the Village of Fair Haven in Cayuga County, provides fire protection to the Village, the Town of Sterling in Cayuga County and the Town of Wolcott in Wayne County. Disbursements for the period April 1, 2013 through May 31, 2014 totaled $201,488.
- The Treasurer receives all funds, prepares and makes all deposits, pays Department bills and performs all recordkeeping functions with little or no Board oversight.
- The Board has not adopted a code of ethics.
- The Board did not review or approve the majority of the bills prior to payment.
- The audit committee did not complete an adequate annual audit.
- The Board did not prepare or adopt an annual budget.
- Adopt financial policies and procedures that adequately segregate duties and provide oversight.
- Adopt a code of ethics.
- Audit bills and approve them before payment.
- Ensure that an adequate, documented annual audit is completed by the audit committee.
- Prepare an annual budget.