Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Company's internal controls over its financial operations for the period March 1, 2013 through February 5, 2015.
The Jamison Road Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. is a volunteer organization located in the Town of Elma, Erie County. The Company, which provides fire protection services for approximately 3,100 Town residents, is governed by an eleven-member Board of Directors. Budgeted appropriations for the 2014-15 fiscal year totaled approximately $235,000.
- The Treasurer did not obtain Board and membership approval for all bills before paying them and did not retain adequate supporting documentation to demonstrate that all purchases were for valid Company purposes.
- The Company did not have policies governing the use of debit cards or online payments.
- The Treasurer’s financial records and monthly reports were incomplete and inaccurate.
- The Treasurer did not always deposit receipts and cash advances in a timely manner.
- Properly approve bills prior to payment and ensure that all bills have adequate supporting documentation.
- Adopt comprehensive cash receipt and disbursement policies that include provision for debit cards and online payments.
- Monitor the Treasurer's records and reports to ensure they are accurate.
- Ensure that fundraiser cash advances and receipts are deposited in a timely manner.