Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to evaluate the Department’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2012 through September 29, 2014.
The Nanticoke Volunteer Fire Department was a not-for-profit organization which was located in the Towns of Nanticoke and Lisle in Broome County. The Department, which was governed by a four-member Board of Directors, contracted with the Towns to provide fire protection and emergency services. Budgeted appropriations for 2015 were approximately $59,800. After completion of our audit, the Department ceased operations and is currently awaiting dissolution from the State Attorney General’s Office.
- The Board did not ensure that all disbursements represented proper Department expenses, resulting in payment of personal bills belonging to the Fire Chief and a former Board member using Department funds.
- The Board and membership did not review bank statement activity.
- No one ensured that cash receipts were properly recorded or that collections were being deposited.
- The Board and membership should have developed procedures to help ensure that all cash disbursements were approved prior to payment and that supporting documentation was properly maintained.
- The Board and membership should have performed a review of the bank statements, including canceled check images, on a periodic basis.
- The Board and membership should have developed procedures to help ensure that all cash receipts, including fundraising receipts, were properly accounted for and deposited.