Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the internal controls over the Department’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2015 through July 27, 2016.
The Painted Post Fire Department provides fire protection services for the Villages of Painted Post and Riverside in Steuben County. The Department is governed by an elected four-member Board. The Department’s expenditures totaled approximately $17,000 for 2015.
- The bylaws do not adequately segregate the Treasurer’s duties.
- The annual audit was ineffective since it consisted of a comparison of the bank statement balance to the check register and did not include other items such as disbursements or canceled checks.
- The Board has not adopted a code of ethics as required by law.
- Amend the bylaws to provide for adequate segregation of duties and oversight.
- Provide for an effective independent review of the Department’s financial transactions.
- Adopt a code of ethics that sets forth guidance for Department officers and members regarding expected standards of conduct.