Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether the Department’s financial activity was properly recorded and reported and Department money was safeguarded for the period January 1, 2015 through January 31, 2017.
The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department is located in the Town of Ausable in Clinton County. The Department, which provides fire protection and other emergency services to Ausable-Chesterfield-Keeseville Joint Fire District residents, is governed by 13 officers elected by the membership. Disbursements during our audit period totaled $121,922.
- Department officials did not review the bank statements and canceled check images for the bank accounts managed by the Treasurer and Fire Police Captain.
- Department officials did not deposit or account for all donations received or deposit money received from fundraisers and lounge sale, and deposits totaling approximately $158,300 were not supported by adequate documentation.
- Department officials did not approve 499 disbursements totaling $63,010 before payment was made.
- Review bank statements and canceled check images.
- Ensure that all collections are supported by adequate documentation and deposited.
- Review and approve all disbursements before payment.