Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to assess whether the Board provided adequate oversight of Company financial activities to ensure resources are properly safeguarded for the period January 1, 2015 through July 10, 2017.
The Hartsdale Fire Company is located in the Town of Greenburg and provides fire protection for a 4.5 square mile area. The Company is governed by a three-member Board of Trustees. For the period 2015 through 2017, $52,550 in Foreign Fire Insurance (FFI) revenue was received.
- The Board did not provide oversight or ensure the Treasurer’s duties were adequately segregated or monitored.
- The Treasurer did not maintain accurate accounting records or prepare and provide the Board with monthly financial reports.
- Thirteen percent of FFI and 60 percent of Company Fund (CF) expenditures were unsupported.
- The Board should improve oversight of financial activities.
- The Treasurer should maintain accurate accounting records and provide reports to the Board.
- Implement procedures to ensure that all claims are properly supported, reviewed and approved before they are paid.