Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether financial activity was properly recorded and reported and Department money was safeguarded for the period January 1, 2016 through September 7, 2017.
The Magee Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. is located in Seneca County and contracts with the Town of Tyre to provide fire protection services to Town residents. The Department is governed by an elected four-member Executive Board and five-member Board of Directors. Budgeted appropriations for 2017 totaled $118,776.
- The Board and Directors do not receive formal, detailed reports of cash receipts and disbursements, nor are bank reconciliations consistently prepared and provided for review.
- The Board has not filed the required Internal Revenue Service Form 990 for tax-exempt organizations.
- The Board is not reporting payments made to an individual performing custodial/maintenance services as either an employee or a contractor.
- Ensure that monthly financial reports are received, are complete and accurate, and include detailed information regarding receipts and disbursements.
- Ensure that required forms are filed with the appropriate oversight agency.
- Determine whether the individual performing custodial/maintenance services is an employee or an independent contractor and properly report the payments.