Determine whether Department officials provided adequate oversight of operations to ensure financial activity was properly reported and money was safeguarded.
- The Treasurer did not provide sufficient oversight of the bookkeeper hired to account for the Department’s financial transactions.
- Forty-four credit card charges totaling $5,087 were paid without sufficient supporting documentation.
- Thirty-five check collections totaling $26,751 were not deposited in a timely manner.
- The Department’s audit committee did not audit the Treasurer’s records as required in the bylaws.
- Perform all of the Treasurer’s duties as required by the bylaws and review the bookkeeper’s work.
- Ensure all disbursements have the President’s prior authorization and are adequately supported.
- Adopt procedures to ensure that collections are documented, safeguarded and deposited in a timely manner.
- Review the Treasurer’s books and records as required.
Department officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated, or indicated they planned to initiate, corrective action.