Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if District controls to ensure that financial activity are properly recorded and reported and that District moneys are safeguarded for the period January 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014.
The District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Kirkland, and is located in Oneida County. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. The District’s general fund budget totaled $67,000 for the 2014 fiscal year.
- The Board did not adopt an investment policy as required by GML.
- The District has been using a credit union for the deposit and temporary investment of District funds, which is not authorized by GML.
- The Board Chair had a prohibited interest in a contract between the District and a corporation where the Treasurer (the Chair’s spouse) is employed as a part-time sales representative.
- The Treasurer has not filed the annual update document (AUD) with OSC for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 as required by GML.
- Adopt an investment policy as required by GML.
- Deposit and invest District funds only as authorized by GML or other State statute.
- Discontinue the contract with the corporation in which the Chair has a prohibited interest.
- File the delinquent AUDs with the Office of the State Comptroller and file future AUDs in a timely manner.