Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to evaluate the District’s internal controls over financial activity for the period January 1, 2013 through September 30, 2014.
The Lake View Fire District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Hamburg, located in Erie County. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. The District’s general fund 2014 budget totaled $726,490.
- The Board does not conduct a comprehensive audit of each claim prior to payment.
- Forty-three disbursements totaling $139,303 were authorized by the Secretary instead of the Director as required.
- Credit card claims were not always supported with adequate documentation.
- Conduct a comprehensive audit of claims prior to payment.
- Ensure that the Director authorizes all District purchases.
- Ensure that original credit card receipts and statements are attached to the claims.