Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if the Board provided adequate oversight of the District’s financial operations to ensure that assets were safeguarded for the period January 1, 2014 through April 27, 2015.
The Alton Fire District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Sodus, located in Wayne County. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. The District’s 2015 general fund budget totaled $85,283.
- The Board has not adopted an investment policy.
- The Treasurer performed monthly back reconciliations, but did not present them to the Board for review.
- The Board did not complete an annual audit of the Treasurer’s books and records.
- Adopt an investment policy.
- Review monthly bank statements and the Treasurer’s bank reconciliations.
- Ensure that the Treasurer’s financial records are audited annually.