Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to evaluate internal controls over the Association’s financial activities for the period January 1, 2013 through September 30, 2014.
The Pennellville Volunteer Fireman’s Association, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation located in the Town of Schroeppel, Oswego County. The District, which contracts to provide fire protection services to the Town, is governed by a five-member Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2014 were approximately $192,000.
- The Board did not ensure that cash disbursements and receipts were properly accounted for and that assets were safeguarded and used for proper purposes because it did not include key controls in the bylaws.
- The Treasurer did not maintain adequate accounting records and did not file required reports with the Board, the State Comptroller’s Office and the Internal Revenue Service.
- The Board did not audit and approve bills for payment.
- Amend the bylaws or adopt other policies and procedures to strengthen internal controls and provide specific guidance for cash receipts and disbursement procedures, for the audit and approval of bills and for fundraising activities.
- Provide the Treasurer with appropriate guidance and training to adequately perform the duties of that position.
- Audit and approve bills prior to the Treasurer making payment.