Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether the Board provided adequate oversight of the District’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017.
The Walton Fire District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town and Village of Walton, in Delaware County. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. Expenditures for 2016 totaled $226,831.
- District officials adopted unrealistic budgets with significant variances in appropriations.
- The District does not have a documented fund balance policy or capital plan.
- The Treasurer has not filed the District’s annual financial report since 2012.
- Adopt realistic budgets based on expected expenditures.
- Develop a fund balance policy and capital plan.
- Ensure the annual financial reports are filed in a timely manner.