Determine if the Board and District officials effectively managed the District’s financial condition.
Determine if the District is seeking competition for purchases that are under the bidding threshold.
- The Board overestimated appropriations and transferred nearly the entire operating surplus to the reserve funds, leaving the District with virtually no unrestricted fund balance.
- District officials did not always seek quotations for purchases under the bidding threshold.
- Adopt financial plans for the maintenance of a reasonable level of fund balance, the funding and use of reserves and a multiyear financial plan.
- Adopt budgets that include reasonable estimates for appropriations.
- Ensure compliance with the District’s procurement policy regarding the use of verbal and written quotations.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they were initiating corrective action.