Determine whether credit card and travel expenditures were properly approved, supported by adequate documentation and a proper use of District money.
- The Board and District officials could not demonstrate whether Board-approved payments of approximately $169,000 were a proper use of District money.
- Travel and car rental costs of approximately $58,000 were not pre-approved and the Board did not authorize per diem payments of approximately $9,000 that may have been unnecessary and/or an improper use of District money.
- The District could have saved up to $17,000 had the Board required the use of lodging that accepted General Services Administration rates.
- Seek reimbursement of improper and other questionable payments.
- Properly audit all claims for payment.
- Properly establish and pay per diem amounts.
District officials generally agreed with our findings and recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.