Determine whether Selkirk Fire District (District) officials solicited competition for professional services.
District officials did not solicit competition for professional services.
During our audit period, District officials:
- Paid 12 professional service providers $759,029 without soliciting competition.
- Did not issue a request for proposals (RFP) for audit services totaling $25,200, although required by policy.
- Could not provide documentation that they used other methods to assess the accountability, reliability, responsibility, skill, education and training, judgment, integrity and moral worth of the professional service providers as required by the District’s procurement policy.
- Require soliciting competition before awarding professional service contracts.
- Secure audit services through an RFP process, as required by policy.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.