Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Library’s internal controls over donations and circulation desk cash receipts for the period June 1, 2013 through October 31, 2014.
The Ballston Spa Public Library is a municipal public library that received its charter from the State in 1893. The Library is located in the Village of Ballston Spa, Saratoga County, and is governed by a five-member Board of Trustees, each of whom is appointed by the Village Mayor. Budgeted appropriations for the 2014-15 fiscal year totaled approximately $214,000.
- The Board has not established procedures for the Library’s collection and disbursement of donated funds.
- The Treasurer has not maintained a detailed accounting of the cash received from donations.
- The Librarian did not always remit fees timely to the Clerk.
- Establish procedures to provide internal controls over the collection and use of donated funds.
- Ensure that receipts of donations are recorded with sufficient documentation.
- Remit cash collections from the circulation desk to the Clerk on a timely basis.