Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether Library staff properly collected, recorded and deposited cash receipts for the period July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2017.
The East Islip Public Library is located in the Town of Islip in Suffolk County. The Library is governed by an elected five-member Board of Trustees. Budgeted appropriations for the 2017-18 fiscal year total approximately $4 million.
- Library staff did not issue adequate receipts for all collections.
- Library staff did not properly account for attraction tickets purchased and sold.
- The account clerk performed incompatible financial duties.
- Ensure that adequate receipt records, such as duplicate press-numbered receipts, cash register receipts or a cash log that indicates when and from whom payment was received, and the form (i.e., cash or check) in which receipts are received, are maintained.
- Ensure that reconciliations are prepared for attraction ticket purchases, sales and inventory on hand.
- Separate financial duties so that no one individual controls several key phases of a transaction.