Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether the Board and Library officials developed and implemented adequate internal controls over cash receipts and disbursements for the period July 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017.
The Fulton Public Library is located in Oswego County and is classified as a school district public library. The Library, which serves a population of approximately 20,600, is governed by a Board of Trustees whose seven members are elected by Fulton City School District residents.
- The Board has not established adequate internal controls for over-the-counter cash receipts and waiving fines.
- A privately contracted payroll vendor has access to the Library’s bank account to withdraw funds for payroll and fees.
- The Board does not audit claims before disbursements are made.
- Establish policies and procedures for cash receipt collections and waiving fines.
- Remove the payroll vendor’s access to the Library’s bank account.
- Audit and approve claims prior to payment.