Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the Authority’s recovery fund and credit/charge card activities for the period July 1, 2015 through March 22, 2017.
The Kenmore Housing Authority is located in the Village of Kenmore in Erie County. The Authority, which is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, was established in 1970 to provide low-income housing for qualified individuals. Budgeted appropriations for the 2016-17 fiscal year totaled approximately $1.1 million.
- The Director improperly recorded administrative fee financial activity in the recovery fund.
- More than $13,000 was not used in a manner that furthers the Authority’s purpose or was not properly approved for payment.
- The Board did not establish adequate controls to properly monitor the use of credit cards.
- Ensure that administrative fee revenues are properly recorded in the general fund.
- Ensure that administrative fee revenues are used for appropriate Authority purposes and that all bills and invoices are reviewed and approved in a proper claims audit prior to payment.
- Provide oversight to ensure that all charges are necessary, reasonable and for legitimate Authority purposes.