Determine whether the Village of Nyack Parking Authority’s (Authority) Board of Trustees (Board) and Authority officials effectively pursued and maximized the collection of all parking violation tickets issued.
The Board and Authority officials did not effectively pursue and maximize the collection of parking violation tickets.
The Board and Authority officials did not:
- Provide oversight and were unaware of inconsistencies in penalty assessment, delinquent notices and collections.
- Establish a benchmark collection rate.
- If the industry standard collection rate of 85 percent was achieved, over the five-year period, the Authority would have collected additional revenue totaling $572,609.
- Review the number or the amount of outstanding tickets or consider alternatives to increase collections.
- Adopt policies and procedures on penalty assessment, delinquent notices and collections and oversee and monitor parking ticket operations and enforce fines.
- Establish a benchmark collection rate and review aging reports for outstanding tickets.
- To increase collections, consider license plate readers, instituting civil action or amnesty programs and increasing penalty amounts.
Authority officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.