Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review controls over the District’s fixed assets and information technology equipment for the period July 1, 2014 through December 1, 2015.
The Somers Central School District is located in the Towns of Somers, Katonah and Yorktown in Westchester County. The District, which operates four schools with approximately 3,300 students, is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Education. Budgeted appropriations for the 2015-16 fiscal year total approximately $87 million.
- The Board has not adopted an asset policy establishing capitalization or tagging thresholds, controls over assets or how to maintain records for assets.
- Not all assets listed as disposed of had documentation indicating authorization or approval.
- Not all assets were tagged or had asset tag numbers that agreed with the asset records.
- Adopt a written policy that establishes capitalization or tagging thresholds, controls over assets and how to maintain records for assets.
- Authorize all asset disposals.
- Ensure that all fixed assets above the established threshold limits have tags affixed identifying them as District properties.