Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the District’s management of financial activities for the period July 1, 2012 through February 9, 2016.
The North Collins Central School District is located in the Towns of North Collins, Collins, Concord, Brant, Eden and Evans in Erie County. The District, which operates two schools with approximately 590 students, is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Education. Budgeted appropriations for the 2015-16 fiscal year totaled approximately $15.5 million.
- The Board and District officials did not adopt reasonable budgets or ensure that fund balance and reserves were managed in accordance with statutes.
- The District used a contingency account within the budget annually, which is not permitted.
- The District has not established plans regarding the purpose, use and replenishment of funds for any of its reserves.
- Develop realistic estimates of appropriations and the use of fund balance and reserves in the annual budgets.
- Discontinue the use of a contingency account within the annual budget.
- Develop a written policy indicating how much money will be reserved, how each reserve will be funded and when the balances will be used to finance related costs.