Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review internal controls over information technology (IT) equipment and user access and to review potential conflicts of interest for the period July 1, 2014 through February 29, 2016.
The Glen Cove City School District is located in the City of Glen Cove, Nassau County. The District, which operates six schools with approximately 3,200 students, is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Education. Budgeted appropriations for the 2015-16 fiscal year totaled approximately $82.5 million.
- There was no written policy for notifying the IT office of new hires, keeping track of equipment assigned to employees and collecting equipment when an employee leaves District employment.
- The District’s inventory of portable electronic devices lacked key information, such as date inventoried and purchased, and did not show all devices assigned to employees.
- One Board member had a prohibited interest in District contracts because he owned a business from which the District purchased awards for student athletes.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to properly account for portable electronic devices issued to new hires and employees who leave District service.
- Ensure that an inventory with all computer equipment is maintained and includes the assigned users for each device and relevant information pertaining to each asset.
- Ensure that the District does not enter into any contract in which a District officer or employee has a prohibited interest