Determine whether meal, travel and conference expenditures were reasonable.
- Could have saved $14,000 if it used government rates to reimburse for travel expenditures.
- Could have saved $2,600 on rental cars by using New York State (NYS) contracts.
- Does not require proof of attendance at conferences.
- District officials should consider following the government travel reimbursement rates.
- When possible, District officials should use NYS contracts for renting cars.
- The Board should require proof of attendance for conferences.
District officials disagreed with certain aspects of our findings and recommendations and indicated they plan to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes comments on issues raised in the District’s response.