Determine whether extra-classroom activity (ECA) funds were properly collected, recorded, deposited and disbursed.
- Student treasurers and advisors failed to maintain pre-numbered tickets and receipts, statement of profit and loss forms, and annual record of funds received and paid out.
- Checks were not countersigned and payments were not properly approved.
- Middle school bank reconciliations were performed incorrectly, resulting in inaccurate cash balances being reported to clubs and to the Board.
- Ensure pre-numbered receipts and tickets are issued for all ECA fund events, and issue pre-numbered receipts for all collections from ECA advisors.
- Ensure all checks have two signatures and payments are approved by all parties as required by policy.
- Review accounting records to ensure that receipts and disbursements are properly recorded, and review monthly bank reconciliations before they are sent to the District Treasurer to ensure accuracy.
District officials disagreed with certain findings in our report. Appendix B includes our comments on issues raised in their response.
1 The District appointed a new District Treasurer who began in January 2019.